Record types allow you to define different sets of the values that are chosen for the picklist, which means you can make the picklist customized with the help of Salesforce record types. They help the user to implement custom business processes. They are popular among Salesforce developers for several reasons and in this blog, we are going to discuss the record types in detail.
We will discuss what are Salesforce Record Types and the steps on how to create record type. Many developers remain puzzled about these features of Salesforce CRM, so we have brought this detailed blog that will let you know about the record type creation process.
What is the Records Type in Salesforce?
As we have said earlier that salesforce record types are created to customize the picklists and you can implement the custom business process with the help of these record types. Through this feature, you can create segments of values for the picklist and satisfy the business needs.
Here, you can create value segments as per your requirement like segment by division, by product line, region, or any other values. Here, due to these segments of values, you will have created only a few values. In other words, fewer fields have to be maintained due to these segments.
Now, you may think what is the business process? Business processes allow you to track separate support, lead, and sales life cycles that can be done for various divisions, groups, and markets. Mainly below listed business processes are available in any business:
Read: Top 12 Salesforce APP Builder Interview Questions and Answers 2018
Take our online Salesforce training course and become a Salesforce expert in no time.
Salesforce Training For Administrators & Developers
- No cost for a Demo Class
- Industry Expert as your Trainer
- Available as per your schedule
- Customer Support Available
- Lead Process: You can create different lead processes that may include some or all of the picklist values that are available for Lead Status Field.
- Sales Process: They involve the processes that are used for various different sales processes. They can include some or all of the values that are required for picklist that may be available for the opportunity stage field.
- Support Processes: These processes are used to create different support processes. They may include some or all of the values that are available for picklist values for Case Status Field.
- Solution Processes: They are used to create different solution processes. These picklist values include some or all values that are available for the Solution Status Field.
In this way, for the above-mentioned or any business process, you can create the record types. The picklist values will have customized values that may be used by the user for the business processes.
How to Create Salesforce Record Types for Custom Objects?
The record creation feature is available in Salesforce Classic and Lightning versions. Salesforce professional, performance, unlimited and developer editions have the feature to create record types. Here to create the record types in Salesforce user permission may be required to create or change the record types that may be required for customized applications. There is a special picklist that is known as a master picklist. Master picklist include all values that can be used by any record type. Master picklist is used to update or involve all the values for the user picklist. In the next section we will see the steps that are required for picklist creation:
Read: How to Install and Use Salesforce ANT Migration Tools?
- Go to Record Types from management settings to select the appropriate object type
- Now click New
- From the record type drop-down list choose Master, these types are Existing Record Types. By choosing this all values that are currently available will be copied. Apart from this, you can also choose an existing record type that can be used to clone its picklist values.
- Now enter the Record Type Label that may be unique within the object.
- Now enter the name of Record Type. The name Record Type refers to the component when a web service API is being used it prevent the naming conflicts and is used for package installation and is used to manage packages.
- If you are creating the record type for opportunity creation, or for the case or any lead and types of solution, then for that you will have to select the type of business process that will associate with the record type.
- Now enter the description of the record type for business process
- In order to activate the customized record, type select Active
- Now select Enable for Profile that is given next to the profile and is used to make the record type available to users Now select the checkbox of header row with which all profiles will be enabled.
If the record types are being set then it is being ensured that team members can view only customer accounts and will not be able to view the partner’s account. Here is one more method on how to create record type in Salesforce is:
- From Setup click the Object Manager from where you will have to select the Account
- Now select Record Types and click New, here you can fill the details as:
|Field Existing Record Type Record Label Type Description Active
||Value Master Customer Account For customers and prospects Select
Moving ahead, you will find the Enable for Profile column header, deselect the checkbox of the header
- Further, you will have to select the profile that can be
- Sales User
- System Administrator
- Now, click on the Next option from the Window.
- Click on the Radio button labeled as Apply and select the single uniform layout for all the profiles.
- From the Select Page Layout, list the select Account Layout.
- Now, click on Save option in the end.
Learn Salesforce in the Easiest Way
- Learn from the videos
- Learn anytime anywhere
- Pocket-friendly mode of learning
- Complimentary eBook available
In this way, you can create the customized picklists and insert the values in these lists as per your requirement. Here the lists can be edited if required for that below steps have to be followed:
- Go to the Action column now click the Edit that is next to the industry field.
- Now from the already listed values select the required values
- If you want to remove or add any new values then choose the appropriate one
- Now click on Save.
Also, learn how to get a Salesforce record type ID for a custom object, which is available in both Salesforce Classic and Salesforce Lightning.
Read: Wrapper Class Salesforce Tutorial Guide for Beginner in 2020
Picklists are important for the developers and they can use them as and when required. You can use these lists as per your requirement and add or delete the values from these picklists. Various other options can be used by Salesforce developers to customize the picklists.
Are you an aspiring Salesforce professional? Sign up for our salesforce courses to learn more skills.
Take a free demo session of our online Salesforce training course today!
Salesforce Training For Administrators & Developers
- Personalized Free Consultation
- Access to Our Learning Management System
- Access to Our Course Curriculum
- Be a Part of Our Free Demo Class
Read: What is Test Classes in Apex Salesforce?
Salesforce Vs. Different Technologies
- AWS & Fundamentals of Linux
- Amazon Simple Storage Service
- Elastic Compute Cloud
- Databases Overview & Amazon Route 53
11 days 12 Jun 2020
- Intro to DevOps
- GIT and Maven
- Jenkins & Ansible
- Docker and Cloud Computing
3 days 04 Jun 2020
- Data Science Introduction
- Hadoop and Spark Overview
- Python & Intro to R Programming
- Machine Learning
7 days 08 Jun 2020
- Architecture, HDFS & MapReduce
- Unix Shell & Apache Pig Installation
- HIVE Installation & User-Defined Functions
- SQOOP & Hbase Installation
1 day 02 Jun 2020
- Salesforce Configuration Introduction
- Security & Automation Process
- Sales & Service Cloud
- Apex Programming, SOQL & SOSL
7 days 08 Jun 2020
- Introduction and Software Testing
- Software Test Life Cycle
- Automation Testing and API Testing
- Selenium framework development using Testing
0 day 01 Jun 2020
- BA & Stakeholders Overview
- BPMN, Requirement Elicitation
- BA Tools & Design Documents
- Enterprise Analysis, Agile & Scrum
2 days 03 Jun 2020
MS SQL Server
- Introduction & Database Query
- Programming, Indexes & System Functions
- SSIS Package Development Procedures
- SSRS Report Design
4 days 05 Jun 2020
Receive Latest Materials and Offers on Salesforce Course