In this competitive age, there is always a need for good information. Today, when Companies are generating a massive amount of data and it is growing exponentially with every passing day. Here, technology helps us in gathering related information and create reports that can be understood quickly. The report generation is easy with popular reporting tools in the technical marketplace and one of the most reliable tools is SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services).
SSRS is a reporting tool of Microsoft that helps in creating reports using graphs, charts, maps, and other visualization techniques etc. The main objective of this reporting tool is creating, managing, testing, or deploying reports to business users. SSRS is just a wonderful component of Microsoft Business Intelligence Platform.
So, finally, you are trying to find out a job in SSRS field but wondering how to prepare yourself for the interview. Well, you have reached the right place today where you can read multiple SSRS interview questions that are frequently asked by interviewers. Every interview is different and the scope of the job is also different. With these SSRS interview questions, you can always get the success in your interview.
SSRS Developer Interview Questions
- What is SSRS and explain its features too?
- Explain the SSRS architecture in brief?
- Explain the life cycle of SSRS reporting tool?
- List the different reporting service components in SSRS.
- How will you define the crystal reports in SSRS?
- How can reporting service reports be added to any application?
- What is the objective of Report Manager in SSRS?
- Can report server be used for running reports in SSRS?
- Name the multiple roles offered by the SSRS.
- Is there any drawback of the SSRS reporting framework?
- Name a few console utilities in SSRS and describe them in brief.
- Name different parts of RDL file and explain them in brief.
- RDL files are written in which programming language?
- Is this possible editing RDL code that is further associated with the linked report?
- Name the different data source in SSRS.
- What do you mean by the feature report rendering in SSRS?
- Why should you use SSRS for your next project?
- List the drawbacks that were reported in previous version SSRS 2008 R2.
- What are the minimum software requirements for the SSRS framework?
- What are the core components of the SSRS framework?
SSRS Developer Interview Questions with Answers for Freshers
Q1). What is SSRS and explain its features?
SSRS or (SQL Server Reporting Services) is a server-based report generation tool or software system from Microsoft and an important part of the business intelligence platform today. The features of the tool are listed as below –
- The tool is suitable for creating highly interactive reports.
- The reports can be administered ahead through a web-based interface.
- It could deliver customized reports too as per the requirements.
- The tool helps you to create graphics rich reports including charts, graphs, and other visual techniques.
- The reports could be generated in multiple formats like Excel, PDF, Word etc.
Q2). Explain the SSRS architecture in brief?
SSRS tool is a multi-tiered system having applications, server, and multiple data layers. The SSRS architecture is highly modular and scalable too. A single installation of the program can be utilized along multiple systems. The components included in the SSRS architecture are listed below -
Q3). Explain the life cycle of SSRS reporting tool?
The life cycle of an SSRS reporting tool includes three phases. These are Report development, Report Management, and the Report Delivery.
Read: SQL Server Recovery Models-Simple, Full and Bulk Log
- Report Development – The report designing and development is done by developers.
- Report Management – Once the report is created, it will be managed by the administrator ahead. He will check that report should be accessed by authorized users only. Also, the report execution should be performed well to optimize the performance. And further, they are scheduled well based on the priorities.
- Report Delivery – This phase is executed by the DBA and developers together. Once the report is developed and managed well, it is deployed to the client after a proper data analysis. In case, you feel any issues then go back to the development stage right away.
Q4). List the different reporting service components in SSRS.
- Report Designer component is needed for report creation.
- The Report server is needed for the report execution.
- And the Report manager is needed for report management.
Q5). How will you define the crystal reports in SSRS?
Crystal reports are processed by the IIS server while SSRS had a report server. Crystal reports can be enabled through a cache server where SSRS reports are available for Report history snapshots. Crystal reports have well-defined standard and custom user-defined labels while SSRS had only user-defined labels.
Q6). How can reporting service reports be added to any application?
There are a plenty of tools like Visual Studio / BI / SSDT tools that can be used to add reporting service reports to any application. There are two versions available for every tool, one is for Dot net framework and other is for Windows framework.
Q7). What is the objective of Report Manager in SSRS?
Report Manager is a web application that can be accessed through URL in SSRS. You can define permission for this web application and limit the functionalities based on the type of users. Each user is assigned a role and permissions are defined for that particular role.
Q8). Can report server be used for running reports in SSRS?
The reports are integrated with Visual Studio projects with the help of a report designer and a report server. Here, you can analyze the data well collected from multiple sources and stored in databases further.
Q9). Name the multiple roles offered by the SSRS.
The multiple roles offered by the SSRS include Browsers, Content Managers, My Reports, Publishers, and Report Builders etc.
Q10). Is there any drawback of the SSRS reporting framework?
For many years, Microsoft had no direct solution for reporting other than crystal reports. Now it has SSRS but the framework has certain limitations too.
- It is quite complex to understand the structure and functionality of any newly added component.
- Many users still believe that crystal reports are the best solution for reporting because they don’t want to switch to any other reporting tool.
- Sometimes, there come issues in case of large reporting that may lead to data loss as well.
SSRS Developer Interview Questions with Answers for Experienced
Q11). Name a few console utilities in SSRS.
Q12). Name different parts of RDL file and explain them in brief.
- Data – This part contains the dataset that can be used for writing queries and it is always well connected with the data source.
- Design – Here, you can design the report in the form of tables or matrix etc. You just have to drag and drop the information you wanted to use.
- Preview – It is used to check the preview of a report after the run command is executed.
Q13). RDL files are written in which programming language?
These files are XML (Extensible Markup Language).
Read: Comparative Study of SQL and NoSQL Databases
Q14). Is this possible editing RDL code that is further associated with the linked report?
No, this is not possible because the linked report does not have RDL code of its own.
Q15). Name the different data source in SSRS.
These are Oracle, ODBC, SQL server analysis Service, Report Server Model, SAP, XML, Microsoft SQL Server etc.
Q16). What do you mean by the feature report rendering in SSRS?
Exporting any report data in other format is called the report rendering. In SSRS multiple report rendering techniques are supported. These are Word, Excel, CSV, PDF, HTML etc.
Q17). Why should you use SSRS for your next project?
Here are the listed advantages that will teach you why someone should use SSRS over other reporting platforms.
- This is quite cheaper and faster too.
- It helps in generating effective reports with data residing in both databases either Oracle or MS SQL Server.
- There is no need for special skills to use this reporting tool.
- It can be quickly integrated with Visual Studio .NET for generating reports in the same environment.
- Once parameters are defined clearly be developers, the UI will be generated automatically as per requirements.
- There are also security mechanisms defined based on roles.
Q18). List the drawbacks that were reported in previous version SSRS 2008 R2.
Here is the list of drawbacks that were noticed in the previous version and modified later to make SSRS more suitable for reporting.
- There was no print button to take the printouts of PDFs, excel files etc.
- This was not possible debugging the custom code.
- Page numbers were not defined for the whole body of content.
- This was not possible passing values from sub-report to the main report.
- Sub-reports could not be added in either header or footer.
- The page header was creating extra space in the next page.
Q19). What are the minimum software requirements for the SSRS framework?
Here are the minimum software requirements for the SSRS framework as listed below –
- Operating System – Windows XP, Windows Server 2000, Windows Server 2003 either Standard or Enterprise Edition with service pack 4 or higher.
- Processor – Intel Pentium 2 and higher.
- Hard Disk – For report server, it needs minimum 50 MB space. For the DOTNET framework, it needs minimum 100 MB space. For report designer, it needs 30 MB, and 145 MB it needs for samples.
- RAM – Minimum 256 MB RAM is needed or more as per needs.
- Database – SQL server 2000 with a minimum service pack of 3 or higher.
Q20). What are the core components of the SSRS framework?
These are set of tools needed to design, develop and deploy some application. It could be a report server component where the report can be prepared in different formats like XML, HTML, PDF, Excel, Word etc.
It could be an API (Application Programming Interface) that is needed for app integration and to build or manage reports. So, we have discussed popular SSRS interview questions that are asked frequently and helps you in cracking interview in first attempt only. We have given an idea but it may include a lot more questions and related to similar topics. So, all the best for your next interview and don’t forget to share your experience that can actually be helpful for the learners.
Read: Which SQL Server Role you Need to Practice for the Highest Salary in 2020?
SQL Server Operator and Fuction
SQL Server Keys
SQL Server Queries
- AWS & Fundamentals of Linux
- Amazon Simple Storage Service
- Elastic Compute Cloud
- Databases Overview & Amazon Route 53
5 days 02 Feb 2020
- Intro to DevOps
- GIT and Maven
- Jenkins & Ansible
- Docker and Cloud Computing
6 days 03 Feb 2020
- Data Science Introduction
- Hadoop and Spark Overview
- Python & Intro to R Programming
- Machine Learning
6 days 03 Feb 2020
- Architecture, HDFS & MapReduce
- Unix Shell & Apache Pig Installation
- HIVE Installation & User-Defined Functions
- SQOOP & Hbase Installation
7 days 04 Feb 2020
- Salesforce Configuration Introduction
- Security & Automation Process
- Sales & Service Cloud
- Apex Programming, SOQL & SOSL
-0 day 28 Jan 2020
- Introduction and Software Testing
- Software Test Life Cycle
- Automation Testing and API Testing
- Selenium framework development using Testing
6 days 03 Feb 2020
- BA & Stakeholders Overview
- BPMN, Requirement Elicitation
- BA Tools & Design Documents
- Enterprise Analysis, Agile & Scrum
7 days 04 Feb 2020
- Introduction & Database Query
- Programming, Indexes & System Functions
- SSIS Package Development Procedures
- SSRS Report Design
3 days 31 Jan 2020
Receive Latest Materials and Offers on SQL Server Course