Are you planning to make the career in manual testing or want to be a QTP tester then you will have to face the interview for that? In this blog, we are going to cover all questions that can be asked in the QTP interview to any fresher or experienced candidate. QTP is one of the most in-demand professions in the IT world and the professionals are offered higher salaries by the organizations. You can still become a QTP professional and move ahead in your career. So, do not waste the time and check the below-listed questions that can be asked to a QTP professional.
QTP Interview Questions
QTP Interview Questions Answer
Q1). What are different types of QTP assets and their extensions that are used in testing?
Test assets and extensions are listed below:
| Test Asset
|Shared Object Repository
|Test Batch Runner
|Local Object Repository
Q2). What do you understand by QTP and its phases?
QTP or Quick Test Pro is a testing tool that can either operate alone or in an integrated environment. A test that is conducted in QTP consist of following phases:
- Application Analysis: Before starting the tests, the application is analyzed to find out the needs for testing
- Testing Infrastructure Preparation: As per testing requirement the resources like shared repository, function library is prepared to conduct the test
- Test Cases Preparation: Test script or test case is prepared in which the actions are specified for any specific case while testing the application. Object repository is added with function library.
- Test Enhancement: Checkpoints, logic addition, test scope enhancement and conditions are added for checking purpose
- Defect Reporting: The bugs are locked into the bug report and sent to the development team.
Q3). Enlist all recording modes that are available in QTP.
Below-listed three types of recording modes available in QTP:
- Normal or Default Recording: Irrespective of the object location QTP identifies it on the screen.
- Analog Recording Mode: In case if the exact mouse movement in critical to take any action, then this mode is used. Examples are painting applications or signature required for the document.
- Low-Level Recording: The objects that cannot be identified easily are recorded by this option. In case if the object location changes inside the application then this mode is used.
Q4). Explain the object repository in QTP.
Whenever QTP learns any new object, it stores it in its object repository along with its properties. It is basically used to identify any object and following two types of object repositories are maintained by QTP:
- Shared Object Repository: This repository can be shared between multiple tests, but no changes can be made in this repository. It is usually saved with TSR extension and mostly is a keyword-driven methodology.
- Local Object Repository: It is linked to only one test. In this repository, the user can easily make the changes, actions, like adding an object in the repository or making changes in an object property, can be done. The objects are saved with ‘.mtr’ extension.
Q5). Can QTP run in any environment?
No, QTP can only be used and run on the Windows operating system.
Q6). Enlist various test steps of QTP.
Below-listed five test steps are executed for any test:
- Test Object Identification
- Test Functions
- Utility or Session controlling steps
- Programming Logic
Q7). Which recording mode needs more memory?
Low-level and Analog recording modes need more memory.
Q8). Are mouse movements captured by low-level recordings?
No. mouse movements are not captured by low-level recordings.
Read: Why is Performance Testing Important?
Q9). What is the object spy?
QTP provides an extremely helpful tool that is known as object spy through which user can view the object properties and operations linked to them in AUT. All object properties and their values can be retrieved through it. Set of properties that are stored by the object to uniquely identify the objects uniquely. Moreover, object naming is also performed by them, that is a prominent feature of QTP.
Q10). What are the advantages of test-automation?
Testing automation is advantageous and one of the most preferred way to perform the test on various objects. Below-listed advantages are offered by testing automation:
- No Manual Intervention
- Less error probability
- Quick Result Production
QTP Questions Answer for Experienced Candidates
Q11). Why is Action Split used by QTP?
Action split is used in QTP to split the actions of two parts. The two types of splits in action are:
Splitting into two sibling actions: The two split actions are independent Splitting into parent-child nested action: The second split action is only conducted when the first action of parent gets executed.
The duplicate object repository is created in QTP when the split operation is performed. The object split actions can be added to other repositories as well.
Q12). Why are QTP Add-Ins loaded in QTP?
Add-Ins are small files or programs that can be added to the computer due to which the computer capabilities can be enhanced. They are added due to following listed reasons:
- To increase system capabilities
- To improve communication interface and graphics quality
- For particular function loading into memory
- To access just those functions that are required for script execution
Q13). How is parameterization done in QTP?
At the place of recorded values, different values are used for the processes. The variables are used at the time of script execution to access different values. Several types of parameterization can be performed in QTP to pass data, they are listed below:
- By using loop statements
- By dynamically testing data submission
- By using a data table
- By fetching data from the external files
- By taking front-end test data
Q14). Can an action be called from another action in QTP, if yes then what is the method to call it?
In QTP we can call one action from another. There are two ways to do this that are listed below:
- Call to Copy of Action: The copy of action is generated in the object repository that enables us to perform the change to copy of action.
- Call to Existing Action: The action that is made up earlier, an action reference is generated. The actions can be accessed in read-only mode. No copy of data table and existing script can be made.
Q15). What are the different action types?
The test scripts include only one action, that contains the number of steps that are to be performed to test the applications. Below listed three types of actions are performed in QTP:
- Non-Reusable Action: These actions can be called only once by the tests from where they are stored
- Reusable Action: These actions can be called multiple times from where they are stored
- External Action: They are reusable actions but stored in external tests. The external actions are available only in read-only mode and any change to external action cannot be made.
Q16). Explain the difference between Runtime and Test object?
The difference between runtime and test object is given below:
- The actual objects of the application are known as runtime objects, whereas test objects are just referenced objects of the actual ones.
- Test objects can have different names in different environments, while runtime objects have the same name.
- Test objects can be used to identify the real objects of application that are also runtime objects
- Test objects reside in the object repository, while runtime objects reside in the application
Q17). What are various checkpoints in QTP?
Checkpoints are those points where two object values that are current and expected values are compared. When checkpoints are inserted in the test, then a keyword view checkpoint is added in front of the row and a checkpoint statement id is added. QTP offers following types of checkpoints:
Read: What is Software Testing & Different Type of Software Testing?
- Page Checkpoint
- Image Checkpoint
- Bitmap Checkpoint
- Text Checkpoint
- Database Checkpoint
- Standard Checkpoint
- Accessibility Checkpoint
- XML Checkpoint
Q18). What is keyword view and expert view?
It contains the steps that are executed in the keyword driven tabular form on the application in the English language. The four fields that are contained in the Keyword view are Item, Operation, Value, and Document. By selecting operation and items the tests can be modified and created.
The steps that are to be performed on the application are contained in this view. We can edit the view in VBScript language. The scripts can be edited in expert view. The existing row and methods mentioned in the expert view.
Q19). How can the operating system information be fetched by a QTP script?
The environment variable can be used to know about this. The QTP variables OS and OS Version are used to perform the action in the script.
Q20). Which object repository is better local or shared?
The decision to use any repository is totally open and you can use any of this. The shared repository can be used when multiple scripts are there and to be used to refer to the same object.
Related Software Testing Interview Questions
Important Articles Of Software Testing
QTP is a testing automation tool and you can find a number of questions on this. By performing various actions, you can get familiar with the tool. So, whenever you go for an interview try to use it practically to get familiar with it.
Testing Vs. Different Technologies
- AWS & Fundamentals of Linux
- Amazon Simple Storage Service
- Elastic Compute Cloud
- Databases Overview & Amazon Route 53
0 day 22 Jan 2020
- Intro to DevOps
- GIT and Maven
- Jenkins & Ansible
- Docker and Cloud Computing
5 days 27 Jan 2020
- Data Science Introduction
- Hadoop and Spark Overview
- Python & Intro to R Programming
- Machine Learning
2 days 24 Jan 2020
- Architecture, HDFS & MapReduce
- Unix Shell & Apache Pig Installation
- HIVE Installation & User-Defined Functions
- SQOOP & Hbase Installation
3 days 25 Jan 2020
- Salesforce Configuration Introduction
- Security & Automation Process
- Sales & Service Cloud
- Apex Programming, SOQL & SOSL
6 days 28 Jan 2020
- Introduction and Software Testing
- Software Test Life Cycle
- Automation Testing and API Testing
- Selenium framework development using Testing
5 days 27 Jan 2020
- BA & Stakeholders Overview
- BPMN, Requirement Elicitation
- BA Tools & Design Documents
- Enterprise Analysis, Agile & Scrum
5 days 27 Jan 2020
- Introduction & Database Query
- Programming, Indexes & System Functions
- SSIS Package Development Procedures
- SSRS Report Design
9 days 31 Jan 2020
Receive Latest Materials and Offers on QA Testing Course