If you want to grab a job for database testing profile then this blog post will surely help you. Every database testing has a different meaning, so its scope and job profile is also different. Here, we are going to provide you a list of database testing interview questions that will help you in grasping the job quickly and provide success in the interview. The blog will cover all of the possible questions for the post or profile of database testing.
Here, we have divided the questions into two sections, one is for fresher and other is for the experienced candidates. These questions will help you in getting familiar which type of questions are frequently asked by interviewers and help you in getting your dream job.
Database Testing Questions
Database Testing Questions & Answers for Fresher
Q1). Define the database testing.
Database testing is the process to check all triggers, schema, functions, and procedures. Moreover, it is linked with testing of data consistency and integrity.
Q2). Enlist the different types of testing.
Mainly testing is the following types:
- Structural Testing: It involves validation of all elements and objects that are primarily used for data storage and is not exposed to the end users. Database server validation is also a severe part and configuration of database testing.
- Non-Functional Database Testing: Multiple testing is involved in multiple categories like security testing, stress testing, compatibility testing, load testing, and usability testing. All of these types of testing are known as performance or non-functional testing.
- Functional Testing: This testing involves requirement specifications that are required for user transactions. In this testing required input and output is column length, handling of null values and column data type. Here the tables, columns and derived output tables must be available. Here the database fields must follow the standard naming convention as per business requirement.
Q3). Explain the structural database testing.
When database structure is tested that involve tables, schema, function, database server, and triggers, then it is called testing of the database structure.
Q4). Explain the Schema Testing.
The schema testing is being done in the way so that the name of frontend and backend schemas should be matched. The checkpoints involved in this testing are the validation of schema format, as sometimes the requirement of schema structure may differ from the requirement of the business process and the front-end application structure. Here, unmapped tables, columns, and views are also get verified.
Q5). Explain the Table Testing.
Table testing involves the testing of table and column names. Here front-end columns are mapped, while back-end names may remain the same. Data-type and size of the column must remain the same and as per the business requirement and should be mapped to front-end application. Here, in this testing, constraint testing is also required that may include testing of the foreign key, primary key and other conditions related to table or data. In table testing, cluster or non-cluster table indexing is also being tested.
Q6). Explain Functional or Procedural Testing.
Below-listed things and steps are involved in the procedure or function testing:
Read: Automation Testing Tutorial Guide for Beginner
- It is being checked that whether the development team has followed complete coding standards or not. It involves proper coding indentation and coding standard. Naming conventions are checked for the variables and unnecessary variables and comments are removed that are provided by the developers.
- It is being checked that whether the code has been developed as per business requirements or not.
- Moreover, it is being checked that whether the code can handle all exceptions or not that may include testing and handling of null value handle exception or arithmetic exception.
- It is also checked that whether the data has been inserted through functions and procedures into tables properly or not, that may include data type, name, and length of data field.
Q7). Explain the Trigger Testing.
For this testing, rules are the same for the procedure and function testing. Here it has been checked that whether the trigger is being executed as per specific event requirement or on the occurrence of a particular event or not.
Q8). Explain the Database Server Testing.
Here database server configuration is being checked. Execution processing capacity, storage capacity, and RAM should be as per user requirement.
Q9). Define the database indexing in brief.
The index is created in the table column that may perform query execution faster and even it can be executed frequently as well.
Q10). Enlist the different types of indexes.
Indexes are of following types:
Database Testing Questions & Answers for Experienced
Q11). Enlist the steps involved in data loading test of database testing.
Database testing process of data loading involves the following steps:
- Here the source data must be known
- Target data must be known
- Source and target data must be compatible
- Source and target columns must be checked
- The effective number of rows from source and target must be known
- Garbage values must be checked
- Change effect must be known after any change being done in the source.
Q12). Which of the SQL commands can be used to manipulate table or data?
We can use insert, select, delete, update or create table commands including alter table and drop table commands to manipulate the table or data.
Q13). How can stress testing be performed?
Here, the large amount of data is being tested for load in minimum time. The system response is being tested, when load testing is being done. In case if the load exceeds the user process, then it is known as load or stress testing. The testing examples may include multiple application execution on a single computer or downloading datasets.
Q14). How can the database be tested manually?
If user test data from the backend side, at the time when new data has been added, deleted or updated from front end side.
Q15). How many cluster indexes can be created on a single table?
Only one cluster index can be created on a single table.
Q16). How can a user check that whether the expected number of database objects be created or not?
Users can check the number of database objects, that has been created in two ways that are listed below:
Read: Why is Performance Testing Important?
- Object explorer can be used to check that whether database objects like table, procedures, schema, trigger, function or index has been created or not.
- Through master or sys table you can also check the object status that store all metadata of database objects.
Q17). Why is database testing performed?
Database testing is performed for a number of reasons. As many times it may require to test data integrity, consistency and validation because the backend system is responsible to access and store the data for a variety of reasons. A few of such reasons are listed below:
- The stored procedures and views may contain certain critical tasks like payment info or to check the customer information, these critical tasks are required to be checked.
- Front-end black box testing is important but cannot isolate the problem. Backend testing may increase data robustness and that is why testing is performed on the back-end system.
- When data comes in the database from multiple sources then it is possible that any incorrect or harmful data may be collected, so users must check the database regularly. Moreover, you should also check data consistency and integrity regularly.
Q18). Enlist the steps that are included in the database testing.
Below-listed steps are included in the database testing:
- The first step is data verification, it must be verified
- Verify constraints that is whether they are maintained or not
- Trigger performance and procedure performance is also checked
- Transaction rollback and commit must also be checked
Q19). What are various types of SQL statements?
SQL or structured query language has the following types of statements:
Q20). How are database test cases being written?
After getting functional requirements, the user must understand table structure, Joins, Cursors, Stored procedure, parameters, and triggers. Then you can write a test-case along with different values as the inputs to these objects.
Related Software Testing Interview Questions
Important Articles Of Software Testing
In this way, you can get the database testing done in just a few steps and then you can apply for various profiles of database testing. As per the job profile and requirement, you can apply for the job and for that just prepare for the exam. In fact, you can also read many other questions for the interview and get ready for that. There are plenty of resources that can be helpful.
The profile may also require some knowledge of SQL programming and therefore it may be good for you if you will have some information of the profile and concepts. Here, we have listed some of the questions, but they are not limited there can be many other ones.
Read: What is Regression Testing? Regression Testing Tutorial Guide for Beginners
Testing Vs. Different Technologies
- AWS & Fundamentals of Linux
- Amazon Simple Storage Service
- Elastic Compute Cloud
- Databases Overview & Amazon Route 53
7 days 02 Feb 2020
- Intro to DevOps
- GIT and Maven
- Jenkins & Ansible
- Docker and Cloud Computing
1 day 27 Jan 2020
- Data Science Introduction
- Hadoop and Spark Overview
- Python & Intro to R Programming
- Machine Learning
8 days 03 Feb 2020
- Architecture, HDFS & MapReduce
- Unix Shell & Apache Pig Installation
- HIVE Installation & User-Defined Functions
- SQOOP & Hbase Installation
-1 day 25 Jan 2020
- Salesforce Configuration Introduction
- Security & Automation Process
- Sales & Service Cloud
- Apex Programming, SOQL & SOSL
2 days 28 Jan 2020
- Introduction and Software Testing
- Software Test Life Cycle
- Automation Testing and API Testing
- Selenium framework development using Testing
1 day 27 Jan 2020
- BA & Stakeholders Overview
- BPMN, Requirement Elicitation
- BA Tools & Design Documents
- Enterprise Analysis, Agile & Scrum
1 day 27 Jan 2020
- Introduction & Database Query
- Programming, Indexes & System Functions
- SSIS Package Development Procedures
- SSRS Report Design
5 days 31 Jan 2020
Receive Latest Materials and Offers on QA Testing Course