It is tough to identify the computing power one needs for a particular application that’s been launched recently. There can be two possible scenarios here – either you are overestimated and buying resources that were not needed at all or you could be underestimated that eventually lead to the crashing of an application. Here, in this blog for Amazon EC2 Instance, we will discuss the key concepts related to EC2 Instance and how to create or launch your first own EC2 Instance. Technically, Amazon EC2 is a web service from Amazon that offers resizable computing services in the cloud.
What is Cloud computing?
Cloud computing is a model for enabling ubiquitous and on-demand network access to configurable computing resources like networks, servers. Storage, apps, or services can be acquired or released quickly with minimum management efforts or service provider interactions. With cloud computing, you can always access resources through an internet connection over the web. Furthermore, clouds are majorly divided into three broad categories: public, private, and hybrid clouds. In the case of a public cloud, services managed by an organization are open for use by the general public. In the case of a private cloud, services or IT infrastructure are shared within an organization only. Hybrid cloud is a mixture of the private or public cloud where a few services are made public and rest can be kept private based on the requirements. Further, there are three services are given within a cloud. These are IaaS, PaaS, or SaaS etc.
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) – This service model offers resources like storage, computing, networking capabilities etc using virtual servers like Amazon EC2 instance or more.
- Software as a Service (SaaS) - Here, you can use software apps within the cloud like google apps or Microsoft office 365 etc.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) – Here, you can share platforms to deploy custom apps within the cloud like Heroku, AWS Elastic Beanstalk etc.
What is Amazon EC2 Instance?
EC2 Instance is a virtual server in Amazon web services terminology. EC2 means Elastic compute cloud where an AWS subscriber can add or provision a computer server in the AWS cloud. This is an on-demand EC2 instance offered by the AWS where the virtual server can be rented by subscribers on an hourly basis and use the same for application deployment. EC2 Instances are charged on per hour basis based on their type and the instance chosen. These instances are suitable for multiple business needs and you can terminate them when not needed. This is an on-demand instance where you can save huge on costs by releasing them whenever not required.
With Amazon EC2 Instance, you can configure multiple virtual servers together, add the security or network settings, and manage the storage. It helps you to develop or deploy apps much faster than your expectations. It allows you to scale up based on business needs and provides you with the ability to handle varied needs of your business as well. Before we go a little deep into discussion let us first discuss what is AWS and how to get started with the AWS?
Read: 10 Ultimate Job Profiles you can get with an AWS Certification
What is AWS?
AWS is one of the most matured cloud platforms today that supports a number of SDK languages. The community support in case of AWS is much larger when compared to other cloud services available so far. Let us see further how to get started with the AWS?
Getting Started with the AWS
There are several steps involved in getting started with the AWS.
Let us discuss on each of the steps in detail below one by one.
- Give your Login details: First of all, enter your Login credentials by visiting the site https://aws.amazon.com, and create a free account with AWS button. Keep following the steps one by one given on the screen to successfully create an AWS account.
- Enter the contact credentials: Now give your contact details by adding the contact information in the required fields.
- Add Payment Details: This is the right time to give your payment details in the third step. Yes, this is a mandatory step where you will be adding Master Card or VISA details.
- Identity verification by AWS: Once you are done with all three steps given above, this is the time for validating your identity. In this step, you will receive a call from the AWS. A pin number will be given on the screen and you have to give this PIN number to robotic voice over the phone.
- Choose the support plan: In the end, choose the support plan. Go for the basic plan as it is available for the free. Congratulations, with these easy steps, you have created an AWS account successfully. Now you could sign in with AWS Console by browsing the link https://console.aws.amazon.com.
Note: This is highly recommended to set up the billing alarm as advised by the AWS cloud experts.
Read: What Is Amazon DynamoDB? How Does It Work?
Features of Amazon EC2 Instance
The Amazon EC2 Instance provides the following features that every AWS developer or user should definitely learn.
- It will provide you with virtual computing environments known as instances.
- It has a preconfigured template that is known as the AMI or Amazon Machine Images that are further needed for the server.
- Multiple CPU configurations, storage, memory and network capacity for your instances is known as the instance types
- It will secure login information for different instance with the help of key pairs.
- Strong storage for the temporary data that will be deleted once instances are terminated.
- Persistent storage for data using Amazon ESB volumes.
- It will give multiple physical locations for your resources that are further known as the availability zones or regions.
- A firewall to specify protocols, IP ranges, ports to reach the instances with the help of security groups.
- It can give static IP addresses for dynamic cloud computing then is known as the elastic IP addresses too.
- There are metadata or tags that are assigned or created to Amazon EC2 resources.
You must now be thinking of how to access the Amazon EC2 instances. There are two popular techniques for the same. These are Command Line interface (CLI) or AWS tools for Windows Power Shell etc. Further, there are two types of instances in Amazon EC2 virtual server. These are Reserved Instances and Spot Instances.
You just have to pay for needed instances without any commitments or upfront payments. In the case of Reserved Instances, there are reserved for one day or longer. You could pay for these instances even at hourly basis. Next is Spot instances, where you request for unused instances that will lower down the costs significantly. In the next section, we will be discussing how to create your own first Amazon EC2 instance.
Read: How to Delete AWS Account?
How to create an Amazon EC2 Instance?
To create or launch an Amazon EC2 Instance you need to follow the given steps one by one –
- For this purpose, you first need to go to the EC2 dashboard and click on Launch instance button from there. Here you would see a create a New Instance Window.
- Select the best combination of OS and Apps and you will get an option to select the instance type further. Also, you need to select the geographical region where you wanted to run the instance.
- As soon as you will browse the Window, here you can see two radio buttons with the name Classic Wizard and the Quick Launch Wizard. If you wanted to create a customized instance modified as per your requirements then you should use the Classic Wizard option in that case.
- Now click on the Continue button where you can see Request Instance Wizard window.
- Now click on the continue button and it will ask to provide a tag that is defined as the combination of key-value pairs and helps you in managing EC2 instances like search, organize etc.
- Here, you need to add key and value both and continue further.
- As soon as you will continue, it will open the public/private key pair generation window for you. Generate the key/value pair and download the same by clicking over the create and download key/value pair button.
- Allow downloading this key/pair file because this is highly important and helps you to launch your instances and connecting with other instances too.
- Once you have download it successfully, it will ask you for a security group to run the instances.
- This was the final step, Now review the settings or other things with which an instance is supposed to be launched. If you wanted to modify anything then click on backlink and make the changes by jumping to previous steps.
Congratulations! With these easy steps, you are ready to launch or manage your instance within minutes. You just need to follow all these steps one by one and you are done. Now you could connect to other instances and manage them properly as needed. To manage an instance, go to the dashboard again and see the list of already created instances there. Here, you can see modify or connect options. You can use any of them as per the requirement.
With this blog, you now know what is an Amazon EC2 Instance, its features, how to get started with Amazon EC2 instance and how to successfully create your very own first EC2 Instance. To dive deep, suggest you have a look at our AWS brochure or join an AWS batch by clicking here.
Read: How to Prepare for the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Exam?
- AWS & Fundamentals of Linux
- Amazon Simple Storage Service
- Elastic Compute Cloud
- Databases Overview & Amazon Route 53
0 day 14 Jul 2020
- Intro to DevOps
- GIT and Maven
- Jenkins & Ansible
- Docker and Cloud Computing
17 days 31 Jul 2020
- Data Science Introduction
- Hadoop and Spark Overview
- Python & Intro to R Programming
- Machine Learning
2 days 16 Jul 2020
- Architecture, HDFS & MapReduce
- Unix Shell & Apache Pig Installation
- HIVE Installation & User-Defined Functions
- SQOOP & Hbase Installation
3 days 17 Jul 2020
- Salesforce Configuration Introduction
- Security & Automation Process
- Sales & Service Cloud
- Apex Programming, SOQL & SOSL
1 day 15 Jul 2020
- Introduction and Software Testing
- Software Test Life Cycle
- Automation Testing and API Testing
- Selenium framework development using Testing
10 days 24 Jul 2020
- BA & Stakeholders Overview
- BPMN, Requirement Elicitation
- BA Tools & Design Documents
- Enterprise Analysis, Agile & Scrum
0 day 14 Jul 2020
MS SQL Server
- Introduction & Database Query
- Programming, Indexes & System Functions
- SSIS Package Development Procedures
- SSRS Report Design
1 day 15 Jul 2020
- Features of Python
- Python Editors and IDEs
- Data types and Variables
- Python File Operation
9 days 23 Jul 2020
- Components of AI
- Categories of Machine Learning
- Recurrent Neural Networks
- Recurrent Neural Networks
0 day 14 Jul 2020
- Introduction to Machine Learning & Python
- Machine Learning: Supervised Learning
- Machine Learning: Unsupervised Learning
3 days 17 Jul 2020
- Introduction to Tableau Desktop
- Data Transformation Methods
- Configuring tableau server
- Integration with R & Hadoop
-1 day 13 Jul 2020
Receive Latest Materials and Offers on AWS Course