Grab Deal : Flat 20% off on live classes + 2 free self-paced courses! - SCHEDULE CALL
People need the right direction so that they can reach their goals. If you’re not on the right track, all your efforts are pointless. So, it’s best to have a guide when you’re traveling or planning to go to unknown territories.
During ancient times, maps are essential so that man can go to the right destination. Travelers have no problem going to different places because they know where they’re going.
When it comes to business, HR professionals use the same. An HR professional helps in maximizing a company’s success by steering company employees in the right direction.
How does the HR team make success possible? It’s simple – they use skill mapping.
Skill Mapping allows HR professionals to create a visual representation of skills that are aligned with the skills of each employee in the company. The comparison allows the company to identify skill gaps so that solution is made.
Through skill mapping, an employer has a clear view of the company’s team. For example, the company owner sees and identifies the skills of each employee and the skills that the employees excel at.
Skill mapping also refers to a competency matrix or skill matrix when the skills are combined for a group of employees.
You can assess the skills of your team with an effective tool – skill matrix. You can also map the essential skills of your employees using the competency matrix. For any data-driven pro, skill matrix allows him or her to view the following successfully:
HR professionals need to follow two steps to implement a skill matrix:
Here’s an example:
An upcoming company project requires data analysis in order to make it successful. The company HR expert needs to find an employee that has excellent data analysis skills. If there’s no available employee who matches the skill level, HR will hire an applicant with the required skill.
A competency matrix doesn’t only need to be easy to apply so that you can create the tool: You also need to follow 5 effective steps such as the following:
1. Choose an Evaluator: You can have three options for this: the HR professional, the team’s manager, or you can let each team member evaluate themselves.
2. Define the Essential Skills: A project will be successful if you define the required or essential skills for the project. Avoid trivial or additional skills of an employee and focus only on the needed skills.
3. Use a Scoring System: You can best assess the skills of each team through a scoring system. You can choose from two options: numeric or the descriptive scoring system. The latter has four levels, such as:
HR teams often rely on a 180-degree feedback tool that evaluates an employee through his or her manager, coworkers, or themselves. A 360 –degree feedback tool is also used that has additional customer assessment, reports, and feedback from the bosses.
4. Compare Employees Scores: For you to know the rank of each employee, compare their scores. Employees with longer experience would get higher ranks, while newbie employees would rank lower.
5. Analyze the Skills Matrix: The last step is to analyze the skills matrix that would give you the following:
Skill mapping doesn’t only show the strengths and weaknesses of a team but also benefits the company as a whole.
1. Team Benefits: Skill matrix benefits a company’s employees as a whole. An HR professional can identify the skills required so that a project becomes successful. You would know at once if the skill in your team is required or not before a project begins. In this way, it isn’t too late to hire an employee fit for the project.
2. Employee Benefits: Skill mapping allows employees to discover their strong and weak sides. Once they identify these, it’s a starting point for them to improve their skills. The skill matrix also allows each employee to focus further on learning and development. Thus, they can be more reliable in the work they’re doing.
3. Company Benefits: Through skill mapping, the company sees a clear picture of the available skills and missing skills within the organization. Then, the company can further excel in employee learning and development that contributes to reaching company goals.
If there are lacking skills in the team, the company can hire applicants who have the required skill. Also, the company owner can place employees in areas that additional skills, such as technical skills, are essential.
4. Client Benefits: A team that’s aware of their strengths and weaknesses can work successfully. The company can hire new employees to level up the company’s excellence further. The company benefits mean good news to the clients.
Clients have the assurance that their projects wouldn’t have any delays because the team is working as one. Also, clients would be happy with the result of the project and be happy to work again with the company in the future. The result – both company and clients, would have a harmonious business partnership for many years.
Skill mapping is an essential tool so that a company reaches its goals. An HR professional determines the skills present and missing in a team. Once these skills are identified, employees can work on their strengths and improve their weaknesses.
In turn, the company can hire additional employees to fill the skills gap in the organization. Managers and HR professionals can also use skill mapping software to assist them in successful skills mapping. With the skill matrix, companies don’t only travel on the right path but also develop stronger connections with clients.
So, come now and use skill mapping to your company’s advantage!FaceBook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Email
A dynamic, highly professional, and a global online training course provider committed to propelling the next generation of technology learners with a whole new way of training experience.
MS SQL Server
Receive Latest Materials and Offers on Business Analyst Course